Friday, February 26, 2010

February 28, 2010

Richard Miller: This Is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2
I agree with Dr. Miller when he was saying that we write with our laptops more than we do with our pens. In my classes that I'm taking, I have seen more and more laptops being used by students. It makes it much easier because you don't have to keep up with the notebook, or worry about your notes being ruined because you can save it on your computer.

Technology had made it easier for teachers to find new material and new tools to help students learn and keep them interested. If you look hard enough on the internet, you can find tons of useful material that you can use in your classroom. I have recently done some research into iTunes U and it is a great resource to use as a student and as a teacher. You can find almost anything on there that you would need. I think he's right when there is a need to share information, and iTunes U is a great place to do that.

I think Dr. Miller has a good idea about making a buildings at colleges and universities totally green, but I think it would be very expensive at the same time. I know some colleges could afford to do it, but not all of them. If it was done, I don't know if all students could afford to buy computers. i think the schools would have to supply desktops in all of the classrooms for that to happen.

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler
I thought this was a good but simple way to explain about how to use and find personal learning networks. It made me realize how easy it is to find materials to use to do help you do well in the classes your taking.

I believe it is good to use the tools available on the internet but I do believe there is a need to spend time in the classroom. A student will need the teacher for direction, and to know what's right from wrong. If you have the wrong information then you will not have learned anything. Some students may have trouble finding access to these tools. Not everyone can afford a computer, or find access to one.

As a teacher, I think it will be very important to help my students find their own personal learning networks. If they have an idea of what's out there then it will make it easier for them to decide for themselves what they like or don't like. They can always to come to me if they have any question if a network is a good tool or not.

Toward a New Future of Whatever by Michael Wesch
I thought this video was a bit comical but it was good. I thought he was right on about how whatever has been used. I find myself saying that from time to time still today. When my brother and I are disagreeing about something, I will say it. He can't stand it either. After watching this video, I'm going to try to change my attitude and not use whatever in a negative way. I thought Mr. Weshch and his students did a great job in making his speech where anyone can relate to it and understand it as well. It makes you see how childish and selfish people can be.

As a teacher, I will have to show my students things in a way so they can relate to the information I'm trying to teach them. Hopefully they won't have or go in to the class with a negative attitude. Myabe they will go in open minded and willing to learn.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that it is important to use technology for educational growth, but I also believe that the classroom learning environment is unreplaceable, because teachers will always be needed to help students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also see more and more lap tops being utilized by the student body in lecture classes. They can be helpful with keeping up with notes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing with multimedia has been a passion of mine for 15 years. Now it is possible as Dr. Miller has demonstrated. Amazing things lie ahead for you as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am completely guilty of taking notes on my laptop during lecture. It's not that I am more attached to my computer, it's merely because I am a much more efficient typist than writer. Aside from that, it is more than just a glorified notebook, it's access to notes and information that we don't know yet. It is just more convenient and wise to use computers in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete