Thursday, March 25, 2010

March 28, 2010

This is picture that was on Ms. Bayda's Blog I liked.An Open Letter to Educators

I thought this was a good post and video as well. I thought Ms.Bayda made several good points about being in class and being bored. There are some teachers that teach the old fashion way and don't try change thing up to help keep their students interested. I've found myself in similar situations in past classes that I've taken. When I become a teacher I hope to be able to keep up with new technology to help keep my students interested.

I found the video to be very interesting. I thought he made some very good points. He was very passionate in the video. I think he's right when education at Universities needs to change, but I think you will always have to take the basic classes. I think whatever major you are studying, that should be the classes you need to take. A good example of this would be if your major was History. Why would you need to take Biology. I don't see how that would help you with your career. I think universities will always be needed in order to obtain a college degree.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about keeping up with technology when I become a teacher. I hope to do so as well and incorporate it into my lessons! I think technology has the ability to 1) keep students interested, as you said and 2)it has the ability to broaden students horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I think universities." is not a complete sentence. What did you intend to say?

    Liberal Arts colleges operate under the assumption that students should be "well rounded" in their education. This means exposure to the social sciences as well as the natural sciences. And you have choices among them. If you do not understand the basic principles of biology you will not understand a LOT of history. Just consider Darwin for example. How can you understand all of the historical events and arguments that have surrounded Darwin's arguments about biology. You can't. You need them both. Or at least I think my argument is a good one. Counter it if you disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant that universities will always be needed in order to obtain a college degree.

    ReplyDelete